Finance & accounting
The finance & accounting team is responsible for helping Sourcegraph acquire and allocate resources optimally, plan for the future, track progress and execution, and measure results.
We are hiring for the finance & accounting team! See all open positions.
- Dan Adler, VP Operations
- Tommy O Donnell, Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis
- Kendrick Morris, Finance & Operations Analyst
See our careers page for open roles on the Finance team.
Outreach and questions for the finance team can be asked in the #finance Slack channel, by reaching out to the [email protected] email, or to the finance team members listed above directly.
- Provide timely and accurate financial information
- Present information in a format that allows for sound decision making
- Ensure that our Boards expectations are aligned with all teams operational objectives
- Liaise with all other teams to become trusted business partners
- Safeguard the assets of the Company
Goals for FY2022
- Introduce a financial forecasting and close process that allows for timely and accurate reporting
- Introduce financial reporting tools / software that will support long term value to our financial reporting process
- Continuously monitor and evaluate our financial reporting metrics to understand key trends, and determine if new metrics need to be introduced as the company grows
- Become a trusted business partner to all non Finance team members at Sourcegraph
- Ensure that we build strong relationships with our customers and add efficiencies to our billings and collection process
- Support other operational objectives within the Company
A fiscal year is a one-year period that corporations like Sourcegraph use for accounting and budgeting. Sourcegraph’s fiscal year runs from February 1 to January 31. Having our fiscal year offset by one month from the calendar year ensures that our fiscal Q4 doesn’t end during December holidays, making our quarters more even and predictable, and eliminating pre-New Year stress for our sales, finance, and other teammates.
Fiscal years that don’t align with calendar years (such as our fiscal year) are referred to by the year in which the period ends.
Fiscal year 2022
- FY22 Q1: 01 February, 2021 - 30 April, 2021
- FY22 Q2: 01 May, 2021 - 31 July, 2021
- FY22 Q3: 01 August, 2021 - 31 October, 2021
- FY22 Q4: 01 November, 2021 - 31 January, 2022
Sources of truth
- Financial statements
Annual Recurring Revenue (ARR) is the dollar value of contracted recurring revenue in a (normalized) one-year period.
ARR includes committed bookings with contract start dates that fall in the first 15 days of the following calendar month. This allows Sourcegraph sales team members to get credit for renewals and expansions that may fall in the (near) future. Exceptions to this require written approval from the VP of Operations and the VP of Sales.
Incremental ARR (IARR) is the change in ARR from one period to another.
Expansion IARR is IARR from existing customers (i.e., organizations that were already customers at the beginning of the period).
If within a single period a new customer signs a contract which then grows in ARR before the end of the period, the total ending ARR is all considered new IARR, not expansion IARR. For example, if Acme Corp signs a $100k contract on February 3 and then the contract expands to $200k on March 5, all $200k would be considered new IARR for Q1.
A booking is when a customer commits to pay us money. This includes when:
- A new customer just started paying self-service or signed a contract
- An existing customer (depending on their contract) takes an action that increases the amount of revenue we will earn from them (such as growing usage or using more premium features)
- An existing customer renews (including when the renewal is for the same ARR as the previous period)
We work with an outsourced accounting firm named Officengine. They close the books monthly and produce our financial statements, and provide support in processing payables, preparing taxes, filing corporate registrations, and more.
Reach out to the Finance team for an introduction if needed.