You work with engineering, sales, marketing, and design to plan, ship, and grow usage and engagement in specific areas of our product. As an early member of our product team, you have significant product ownership and will communicate directly with our users to drive continuous improvement.
Developers love our product and rely on it daily to ship and deploy better software. Our passionate users provide a constant stream of thoughtful feedback and love engaging with us to help them and their teams solve their toughest problems.
You will own an area of the product* and:
- Significantly grow usage and engagement of that area and Sourcegraph as a whole.
- Collaborate with, support, and motivate their team to plan and build the solutions to customer problems.
- Add value to the user by surfacing real problems and improving the user’s workflow as a developer.
- Gather customer feedback to validate priorities, improve documentation, and define product requirements.
- Make sure the development team for the product area is working on the most impactful things.
- Maintain a roadmap, backlog, and curate and solicit feedback for the product area.
- Communicate product ideas clearly by focusing on the problems that are being solved, the outcomes, and how we will measure success.
- Be transparent in your internal and external communication. Sourcegraph is open source, so most discussions are public or in channels where you communicate directly with our customers.
This is a very technical role and requires software engineering experience to effectively communicate with engineers and make educated decisions affecting product scope and performance at scale.
As a result, we expect:
- Experience working as a software engineer.
- Strong understanding of Git and Git workflows.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, technical writing ability, and use of data to back up your arguments.
- Ability to stay focused on goals and strategically prioritize work.
- Deep passion for developer tools and productivity enhancements.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to drive and influence product strategy across engineering, design, and distribution.
- Previous product management experience on a software development or developer tools product.
- Experience building and/or contributing to developer tools.
- Experience working remotely with globally distributed teams.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
- You apply here.
- Intro calls: We chat with you about Sourcegraph and to find out what you are looking for in your next role.
- [~1-2 hrs] Async writing project: a writing project to see how you communicate and think about product problems.
- When the RFC is recieved:
- Make a copy of the RFC there is a Sourcegraph owned version of it.
- Set the sharing permissions to “Anyone at Sourcegraph with the link”.
- Add the Google Doc link as a note on the candidate’s Lever profile so anyone on the team can easily find it.
- [1 hr] Product interview: We review your writing project and dive deep on how you work as a product manager. Internal interviewer documentation
- HM action: Add a note to the candidate’s Lever profile with a short summary of the candidate and possible ownership areas and why that would be a good fit.
- [1 hr] Working with customers and data: The biz ops and customer engineering teams talk with you about how you work with customers to gather feedback. Internal interviewer documentation
- [1 hr] Design and Engineering collaboration: The design and engineering teams talk with you about how you collaborate and work within a team. Internal interviewer documentation
- [30 min] Quinn Slack (CEO)
- [30 min] Beyang Liu (CTO)
- We make you a job offer.
- We check your references during your first week to find out what motivates you and how best to work with you.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.