Director of Content Strategy
We’re seeking an intuitive storyteller to lead Sourcegraph’s content marketing efforts. You’ll have the opportunity to make a huge impact on a rapidly growing, highly successful business; this role will craft our global content strategy, shape our brand voice, and help make Sourcegraph a trusted resource for developers.
We’re looking for someone with a passion for no-fluff, big-impact marketing, incredibly high standards for quality, and a knack for distilling the complex. You’ll be responsible for curating meaningful storytelling moments throughout the year as well as leading day-to-day content efforts across Sourcegraph’s blog, website, social channels, virtual events, new media, email marketing, and sales and lead gen assets.
You should have proven experience creating compelling content that converts across each brand touchpoint (long form, social, landing pages, email, etc). You understand the critical role content plays in guiding our developer audience through every step of the customer journey, and you leverage data and research to optimize for brand awareness and credibility, increased inbound traffic and organic search rankings, high quality leads, and revenue growth.
An ambitious and empathetic people manager, you have previous experience building and inspiring a team of full-time teammates and contract writers to achieve business goals. You like to roll up your sleeves and get hands-on as a writer and editor, too.
In the first 30 days you will…
Create a comprehensive content marketing strategy
- Collect feedback from customers and internal teams to guide meaningful content creation and improve our storytelling.
- Stay immersed in relevant industry news and trends to guide thought leadership and customer/partner/influencer content collaboration.
- Evaluate available data to determine which content topics and types are top performers.
- Define content marketing goals.
- Identify and implement any tools needed to accomplish community goals.
- Create and evangelize internal editorial guidelines.
- Create a blog plan.
- Create an email marketing plan.
- Create social and new media content plans.
- Prioritize high impact lead generation and sales enablement assets and begin to build a content repository.
- Encourage and support internal authors.
In the first 60 days you will…
- Build an editorial calendar through Dec 2020.
- Develop and train colleagues on our editorial process.
- Lead the execution and governance of global content marketing plans.
- Identify SEO opportunities and make a plan to optimize about.sourcegraph.com for organic traffic.
- Redesign our blog and define core content categories.
- Support PR and Product Marketing teams in GTM strategy.
- Lead ideation for visuals supporting written and/or video content, including guiding the storyboarding process.
- Represent the content marketing perspective in internal resourcing and prioritization discussions.
- Hire and manage a global content team that will most likely include:
- Content marketers
- Digital producers
- Graphic designers
- Report on content marketing metrics
In the first 90 days you will…
Improve conversion rates by mapping content to every stage of the customer journey.
- Audit our content across all owned channels to identify easy wins and opportunities for expansion.
- Experiment to identify the content and channels that resonate best with our developer audience.
- Ensure continuity across channels.
- Build a personalized nurture strategy to guide developers through the customer lifecycle.
- Build and measure the success of a Sourcegraph newsletter.
Make Sourcegraph the trusted destination for developers with questions about our owned topics.
- We should be ranking when developers Google search relevant terms.
- Our audience should look forward to and share our blog posts, podcast episodes, and newsletters; subscribers should be growing at a steady pace.
- The Sourcegraph blog/Slack community/website/podcast should be the place devs go and link to for credible answers and information; referral traffic from relevant external channels should be rising.
- Lead gen campaigns should be successfully driving high quality leads.
- Sales should have a comprehensive repository of customer-tested resources.
- Direct experience building and managing high performing teams.
- 5+ years experience building and scaling successful multi-channel content programs from the ground up, measuring results, and tinkering to optimize leads/conversions.
- Empathy for developers, and the ability to successfully identify the authentic angles that will make a story most compelling and meaningful to a specific audience.
- A strong portfolio of published or professional samples across a variety of B2B marketing channels – you should be comfortable creating case studies, email and webcast content, ebooks, blog and social posts, ads, website copy, video clips, and more.
- A superlative command of written language and exceptional communication skills. You give things a human touch and know how to catalyze moments of emotional connection with readers.
- Working knowledge of email marketing, marketing software and data-analysis tools.
- Video, podcast, design, and photography production experience
- Git and/or coding experience
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
- You apply here.
- We set up a 30 minute call to chat with you about Sourcegraph to find out what you are looking for in your next role.
- We schedule a few more hours of interviews.
- We check your references.
- We make you a job offer.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
If you’re interested in Sourcegraph but aren’t yet ready to apply we are still happy to connect and answer any questions that you might have: DM us on Twitter or email [email protected]
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.