Software Engineer - Frontend
We are looking for frontend engineers who know how to build intuitive user experiences to make the power of Universal Code Search accessible to everyone. You will have a lot of ownership to solve tough technical and UX problems in key areas of our web application and browser extensions (e.g. code search, code navigation, campaigns).
- You have practice at creating high quality software balanced with a pragmatic understanding of how to make appropriate tradeoffs (e.g. cut scope) to ship quickly and iterate when necessary.
- You communicate clearly and empathetically, especially in writing and documentation.
- You are high agency.
- Work closely with a dedicated designer and PM to implement high-quality UIs.
- Actively participate in the planning of the features we’re going to build, e.g. by writing and reviewing RFCs.
- Build UIs you will love to use yourself as a developer.
- Ensure UI/UX consistency in our app.
- Identify potential for abstraction and build components that can be reused, even by other teams.
- Improve the code patterns in our frontend.
- Hold up accessibility standards.
- Experience in writing SPAs using React or similar component-based frontend frameworks.
- Familiarity with TypeScript or a different typed programming language.
- Skilled at writing clean, reusable CSS and semantic HTML to implement visual designs.
- Experience in using backend APIs from the frontend.
- Skilled at building and testing (e.g. unit testing, automated end-to-end testing) UIs.
- Extensive experience with TypeScript.
- Extensive experience with GraphQL.
- Experience building browser extensions (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari).
- Large and/or numerous contributions to open source projects.
- Published blog posts and/or tech talks about your work.
- Experience working on small high-performing teams, preferably tech startups.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
- You apply here.
- We set up a 30-minute call to learn more about what you are looking for, tell you about Sourcegraph, and answer any questions that you have.
- You complete a 3-hour exercise project that we designed to test the technical qualifications listed above.
- We review your submission and schedule a 1 hour follow-up call to discuss it.
- We schedule 3 hours of remote interviews over video chat across multiple days.
- Technical experience: We ask you about your past work and accomplishments.
- Team collaboration: We ask you about how you work and communicate in a team setting, and how you handle tricky situations.
- CEO/CTO: We ask you about what motivates you to do your best work, and we tell you more about the vision for the company.
- We check your references.
- We make you a job offer.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.