Engineering Manager - Code Intelligence
We are looking for an engineering manager to lead our team that is building the semantic graph of code. The team’s mission is to build a code intelligence platform that understands code in all languages and provides rich metadata to power the rest of Sourcegraph, including code search, insights, and campaigns. Read the code intelligence team handbook documentation to learn more.
- You know how to authentically inspire, challenge, and grow individuals and teams.
- You are motivated to work on ambitious long term goals to solve complex technical challenges.
- You are high agency.
- You will facilitate a cohesive team environment where everyone is happy, motivated, and productive.
- You will ensure that the team has well defined goals that are aligned with the business that are effectively communicated to all levels of the company, and that the team is making continuous iterative progress towards those goals every week.
- You will help engineers grow in their careers.
- You will hire exceptional engineers to grow the team (from 3 to ~6-8 engineers) in a sustainable way so that the team can accomplish more over time.
- You have 2+ years of experience directly managing at least 3 full-time software engineers. We expect you already know how to lead a team.
- You have done some amount of coding in the past 2 years (for example: at work or on a personal project) to keep your skills up-to-date. We expect that you are able to review and provide valuable feedback on code, architecture, and designs.
- You are able to clearly communicate your past accomplishments verbally (example: in an interview) and in writing (examples: in your resume, in your answers to our application questions).
- You have lead a team that has successfully shipped a product to (ideally enterprise) customers.
- You have experience working with multiple programming languages and their ecosystems (e.g., tooling, communities), and are interested and curious to engage with languages that you aren’t yet familiar with.
- You have experience breaking up complex technical problems into smaller achievable milestones that the team can iterate on.
Nice to haves
- You have experience designing, architecting, scaling, and optimizing systems that span multiple layers of a tech stack (example: frontend, backend, CLI).
- You have grown at least one junior engineer to a senior+ level.
- You have designed a software engineer interview process from first principles.
- You have built and delivered an application that works on multiple platforms (examples: different operating systems, cloud versus on-premise)
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook
- You apply here.
- Intro calls
- 1h Team collaboration. We ask you about how you work and communicate in a team setting, and how you handle tricky situations.
- 1h Engineering leadership.
- 1h Technical experience - We ask you about your past work and accomplishments.
- 30m Quinn Slack (CEO)
If we want to move forward after these sets of interviews, we will setup 30-minute calls to meet any members of the code intelligence team that weren’t already an interviewer. These calls are informal and don’t have a script.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.