I (Quinn Slack) am the CEO of Sourcegraph. This page describes my responsibilities and how to get what you need from me. It’s intended to be helpful to our team and as a linkable reference to answer common questions (I don’t expect everyone to memorize this page).
See “Roles of the CEO”.
Communicating with me
My preferred working hours are 10:30-17:00 PT and 20:00-03:00 PT (Google Calendar does not let me specify a noncontigous “working hours” block).
I’ve found recurring meetings with specific single teammates (other than my 1-1s) to be ineffective. In most cases, people either want to discuss topics with me that are best discussed with a larger group or someone else, or they don’t have any topics to discuss but don’t want to offend me by canceling the recurring event.
Asking for a review from me
If you need me to review something (such as a blog post or plan), please state:
- The context (ideally a single link to an RFC or other written down doc)
- What input you need from me
This is to avoid me jumping in and making low-level wording fixes when you’re looking for high-level strategy input.
If the document to be reviewed isn’t private, please post the review request with the context above publicly. Other people involved may have relevant context of their own to share.
Asking me to send an email
If you want me to send an email with a specific message to someone else (e.g., a customer), you should send me an email with:
- Instructions, such as “Please email this, bcc me on the outgoing email, forward me any responses, and cc me on further emails.”
- Recipient name(s) and email address(es)
- Email subject
- Email body (text, no HTML)
- Omit any niceties like “Hello” and “Sincerely”. I will add those myself.