On the Customer Engineering team, we help developers use Sourcegraph to solve their organization’s Big Code problems.
Customer Engineers help our developer users and champions get more value from using Sourcegraph in more and better ways.
We work with many other teams at Sourcegraph, including:
- with the Sales team in our relationships with prospects and customers; and
- with the Product team and Engineering team on product feedback and requirements (by aggregating and relaying what users tell us, and by helping team members get in touch with or solicit feedback from the right users – see surfacing feedback to the product team).
- with the Support team who solve technical problems from all organizations about deployment, configuration, integration, authentication, scaling, troubleshooting, and more.
What is the difference between a Customer Engineer and Customer Support Engineer?
CSEs are the go-to technical team for our CEs, helping customers both pre- and post-sales, by taking on the reactive technical troubleshooting work when customers experience issues. We think of CE and CSE as work best friends, working closely together every day. Where Sales is focused on the commercial relationship, CE is focused on more strategically and proactively on product success/usage/adoption. If the CE is stuck, doesn’t know the answer, that is the exact right time to bring in a CSE and let support do the heads-down troubleshooting work.
The CSE team are experts on troubleshooting customer-reported issues and debugging problems with configurations, deployments, upgrades, integrations, authentication, and more.
The CE team are experts on educating customers on how to use the product (use cases and best practices) and raising feature requests to Engineering and Product on behalf of customers.
Training sessions (Sourcegraph 101, 102, office hours, etc.)
- Comprehensive demo flow
- Demo instances
- Examples of committed secrets/keys/hardcoded IP addresses/emails
- Demo Repository (Repository of example searches to use in demos)
- Aimee Menne (Director of Customer Engineering)
- Customer Engineers (International/Non-US)
- Christy Haragan (Director of Customer Engineering, International)
- Customer Engineers (US West)
- Customer Engineers (US East)
- CE team meeting (bi-weekly on Fridays): Open team discussion about any topics, plus time for any team member to present specific situations occurring in their accounts and get advice from the rest of the team.
- Demo workshop (bi-weekly on Fridays): A weekly super chill, no-pressure, no-stress place where you can show off your new demo ideas and get helpful demo feedback/tips from team members.
- CE team hangout (monthly on Thursdays): An open forum to ask questions, collaborate, and chat as a team.
- Product backlog review (weekly on Fridays): Review of the product roadmap with stakeholders from CE/Sales/Marketing.
- Product & CE Requests & Feedback Themes (bi-weekly on Wednesdays): Feedback treads and requests between CE and Product.
Pre-sales and post-sales
We are both “pre-sales” and “post-sales” because the moment that a sale occurs doesn’t usually change what organizations need from us. Most organizations have deployed Sourcegraph and rolled it out (sometimes widely, sometimes to a limited proof-of-concept group) by the time they become a paying customer. This is different from many other enterprise software products, where the software isn’t actually used (for real) until the contract is signed.
This continuity means we give customers consistent and high-quality service from the moment we meet them. We minimize handoffs, which is good for customers and helps our team take pride in seeing their work through.